One of the simplest and most effective ways to correct your vision is through contact lenses. But like most medical devices, contact lens require proper care and usage to ensure your comfort and safety. Otherwise, you’ll be at risk of developing eye infections. Today, Alderwood Optical, the area’s premier eye doctor, shares some best practices for preventing contact lens infections.
1. Disinfect the lenses before wearing them. Always disinfect your contact lenses before wearing them. Wash your hands before handling the contact lens, using the appropriate cleaning solution. Avoid using water because it may contain germs that could cause a serious infection. Gently rub the lenses between your fingers when cleaning.
2. Any discomfort caused by contact lens use should prompt an eye exam. The lenses may not be a good fit, or you could be experiencing an unrelated eye problem. Just turn to Alderwood Optical, the area’s trusted eye doctor. We’ll perform a comprehensive eye exam so we can determine the cause and provide appropriate treatment.
3. Don’t overlook the contact lens case. The American Academy of Ophthalmology recommends replacing your contact lens care every three months. Before adding a fresh cleaning solution to the case, make sure to empty it of debris and wipe it clean.
4. Rest your eyes. This means giving your eyes a break from your contact lenses. Always remove your contacts before swimming or taking a shower. In addition, remove them before sleeping. This helps you avoid infection.
5. Renew your contact lenses. It’s never a good idea to try to extend the life of your current lenses. Only keep them for as long as your local eye doctor prescribes.
Alderwood Optical is the area’s leading choice for high-quality eye care products and solutions. We proudly serve the areas in and around Lynnwood, Redmond and Kirkland, WA. Call us today at (425) 771-8472 or fill out this contact form to schedule your eye evaluation.